Saturday, December 12, 2015

Miniature Painting in the Blood

No, I haven't gone off the deep end and started applying my own hemoglobin to miniatures for "realism."  I just saw this photograph on the Perry Brothers website:



Painted by a Chris Adcock.  And I happen to be William (Bill, for preference) Adcock.  The Perrys are based out of Nottingham, which is a 42 minute drive from Leicester, where my great-grandfather was born.

It would not surprise me in the least if it turned out that this Chris Adcock and I are somewhat distant cousins.  I joke that holding a university degree in History is the Adcock Curse (I have my degree in History, as does my father, as did his mother, who was one of seven women working towards a Masters Degree at Columbia University that year), but perhaps painting toy soldiers is as well.  I paint them, my father built model kits and 1/32nd scale plastic figures until he was in his 40s, and apparently there are Adcocks back in the Motherland working with toy soldiers as well.

2 comments:

  1. 'Tis the family curse, young master... dark tales are told of a madness that takes every male in the Adcock line... rumours of spectral painters wandering the corridors of Adcock Hall; servants feeling the sound of a ghostly airbrush; the story of Lord Percy, 7th Earl Adcock, driven insane by trying to paint the eyes on a regiment of 6mm Zouaves... Pray God, young Sir, that you do not venture down that dark path, for it leads only to ruin and the need for a much bigger shed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I read this it puts the biggest smile on my face. Thanks, Evan!

      There is allegedly a family castle somewhere - 50 years ago my father got to ride in a limo with it's owner when he crossed the pond to see Niagara Falls.

      Delete